Monday 7 July 2014

Is that is what Internet all for?


Well, I was just scrolling through my G+ feed the other day and I came across through this competition held by one of the most accessed MOOC website- Coursera regarding the maximum users from a country.

Where India stands in this?

To my surprise, this reminded me of one of the articles I have read about the number of internet users in our country. Considering the statistic by October 2013, India had crossed the 200 million mark, says a report released by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IMAI) and IMRB. The report estimates 243 million internet users in the country by June 2014, beating the US as the world's second largest internet base after China.

Keeping this in mind, we also can't deny the fact that internet penetration in the country is just merely around 13% in overall. Yet,the country managed to maintain a spot. Check that out,here!

While most Indians primarily use the internet for communication, largely in the form of email,but social media is also an important driver of internet use in India. This facet of the IMAI report can be corroborated with data from other sources such as Facebook, according to which India had 82 million monthly active users by June 30, 2013, the second largest geographical region for Facebook after the US and Canada.Well!,Facebook does not operate in China.


What intrigues me about the fact that though the number of Internet users is quite high,the larger section of this community spend time on social networking sites.While,I am completely in favour of online presence for networking with people around you but there has to be a limit to it. Wasting time by merely scrolling through one's facebook feed all day long is not the only thing left to do.

Moreover, there is so much out there on the web to browse for, which will help you to hone your skills,staying updated and some good social websites to spend time on like Quora and others.Well, being in India and having an access to internet connection, consider yourself lucky enough to have been exposed to this vast pool of knowledge and start planning out your schedule for more productive stuff.




Updated.P.s- I wrote this, with a naive reflection  and when puberty didn't hit me. Though it contains true stats but, it doesn't reflect the true picture. And, I realized this later. So instead of removing this, I decided to keep it as a souvenir, from my childish brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment